Frequently Asked Questions About the MES

Below are frequently asked questions related to the MES program. If your question is not listed, please contact the Graduate Administrator.
Do I need to have an honour’s bachelor’s degree in an environmentally related field to be considered for the MES? We will consider field experience in lieu of formal academic qualifications. We will also consider applicants with training in environmentally related fields at the graduate level (and without formal undergraduate qualifications). We encourage you to make a strong case for this in your cover letter.
Will I be matched with a supervisor?

All students accepted into the MES will be matched with a supervisor. Your supervisor will be confirmed in your letter of offer. We strongly encourage you to contact potential supervisors before applying. You will need to list potential supervisors in your application. Students’ interdisciplinary thesis committees will be finalized after the fall semester, as they are dependent on a more refined research project.

Does the MES program have multiple start dates? No. All incoming students must start their program in the fall semester.
What will the size of the MES cohort be? The 2024-25 cohort size is 13 students.
Can I work full-time while completing the program? The MES is an intensive program. In addition to completing 3 courses in each of the Fall and Winter sessions and writing a thesis over the summer, students have the option to hold TA positions. The number of hours students will need to dedicate to the program will be equivalent to working a full-time job. Therefore, applicants are discouraged from approaching the degree with the intention of working full-time while completing the MES.
I’ve previously completed graduate-level courses during my undergraduate degree/I’ve previously completed a master’s degree. Can I transfer these courses into the MES? Courses that counted towards the completion of another degree, graduate or undergraduate, cannot be transferred into master’s programs at the University of Toronto. 
Am I able to take courses outside of those listed under the MES concentration electives? Provided the courses are relevant to your thesis, there will be some flexibility with choosing your concentration electives. Course substitutions will need to be approved by your supervisor and the Graduate Associate Director. 
Can I complete an internship during the MES?

Students looking to complete an internship that contributes to their MES thesis research and have secured the support of their supervisor may request to complete an internship during their program, subject to approval from the School. Internships that do not support the thesis topic are not supported by the School. However, students will gain hands-on experience during the MES through the required course ENV1103H: The U of T Campus as a Living Lab of Sustainability. 

Please note that completing an internship may impact program completion time, resulting in paying fees for additional session/s. 

What is the length of the thesis? Students will write a thesis of no longer than 15,000 words. The coursework you take in the Fall and Winter sessions will prepare you for the writing stage, particularly ENV1197 and ENV1198.  
Where do I learn more about studying at the University of Toronto and/or the School of Gradaute Studies? A few great resources to learn more about graduate life at the University of Toronto includes the School of Graduate Studies website and Calendar